Dating yourself is not something that is talked about enough. It’s such a great form of self-care and self-love, but many people don’t give it a chance. I believe that is because not many people understand what dating yourself looks like and why it is important. Which is why you are reading this right now.
Before all the happily married, engaged, or in a relationship people leave, you don’t have to be single to date yourself. I believe everyone, regardless of your relationship status, can benefit from dating themselves.
What Does It Mean To Date Yourself?
The basic definition of this is spending time with yourself. You may be saying, “but I do that everyday for at least some of my day.” The key difference between being by yourself and going on a date with yourself is intentional time.
When you are intentional with your time alone, you value it more. It doesn’t feel like just another thing you have to do, or something that gets brushed off. This is very important in order to get the benefits of dating yourself.
I came across this quote on Instagram not too long ago that put into perspective how important it is to take time for yourself. It went something like “you are the person that spends the most time with you, make sure you like yourself.” When the day is over and the world is quiet, do you know who you are looking back at the mirror? Do you know who that person is? Dating yourself is a great way to not only rediscover yourself, but to love yourself too.
10 Ways To Date Yourself
Here are a couple of ways that you can go on a date with yourself to get you started. Choose one that sounds the most exciting to you, or write them all down, put them in a jar, and pick one out randomly.
1. Go to dinner and a movie.
This is a classic date night, so it’s a must for this list. Dining alone might feel weird at first but it’s actually quite peaceful. Enjoy your own company!
2. Paint night.
If you can’t find a Paint & Sip night near you another option is to do it at home. Go to the nearest craft store and pick out a paint by number kit, or any other painting supplies, and have a paint night at home.
3. Go for a walk in the park.
Nature can be so relaxing, and a great way to spend time alone thinking. This would be a great time to meditate and visualize a you that loves themself and enjoys their life, regardless of their relationship status.
4. Take a dance class.
You don’t always have to show up to a dance class with a partner. There is a place near me that has weekly salsa dance classes where everyone switches up dance partners, if they want to. It’s an ideal night out for anyone, whether you are with other people or not.
5. Be a tourist in your own town.
When was the last time you got out of your daily routine and explored where you live? This would make a fun solo date idea.
6. Go to a concert.
I actually did this for the first time in 2021. I had the time of my life and didn’t even remember standing in line by myself. I know going to a concert alone seems intimidating, but I’m telling you, it is so fun!
7. Get an Adventure Challenge Book.
This is such a fun concept. It’s a scratch-off book full of fun adventures. Pick one of the areas, scratch it off like a lottery ticket, and see what you get. This is definitely something that I want to check out.
8. Grab a coffee.
If you are short on time, or want to ease into the solo-dating thing, a coffee date is the perfect option.
9. Do volunteer work.
Do some good in your community by helping make other people’s day. They will appreciate it, and I’m sure that seeing their smiles will make your day.
10. Go to the aquarium/museum/art gallery.
Whatever your interest is, going to a fun attraction like the aquarium or museum can be a fun, and educational, solo date.
Why Dating Yourself Is Important
Now that you have an idea of what dating yourself looks like, you probably want to know why it’s worth doing. Well, besides the obvious, having “me” time, there are some great benefits to dating yourself:
- Helps you appreciate the single life (if you are single): Who says people in relationships get to have all of the fun? When you date yourself you get to go on all the fun dates that you see all your friends going on with their significant other. A bonus for you is that you don’t have to compromise on anything, the date is all up to you.
- Helps you value your alone time (if you are in a relationship): If you are the type of person that gets lost in their relationship easily, dating yourself is going to help you avoid that. You’ll still have couple time with your person, but you’ll also get some alone time to stay in tune with yourself.
- Increases your self love: Solo dates can be challenging if you don’t love yourself. If you keep at it, you’ll start building up that self love. I think this is the best benefit of them all.
- Allows you to get to know yourself better: Life gets busy, sometimes so busy that you forget who you are apart from all the roles you have. This time alone will help you rediscover who you are to your core. This will, in turn, help in your other roles and relationships you have.
- Helps you romanticize your life: I’ve only recently discovered what romanticizing your life is. It’s taking an ordinary day, and turning it into something much more exciting and full of life. An example might be buying yourself flowers while going grocery shopping. Applying this to solo dates can look like going out to dinner by yourself. Don’t think of it as just “grabbing dinner” dress up and make a big deal about it like you would if it was a date with someone else.
My Challenge To You
I want to challenge you to schedule 3 date nights with yourself in the near future. It may feel silly at first, but the more you do this, the more benefit you can get from it. Happy Dating!
About the Author